6.20.2006

At What Point Do You Cave?




I know this is old news - the 'Mats greatest hits album with two new songs. Okay, I own every album. Do I get a frigging 'nother CD (I already got "All for Nothing/Nothing for All" for the B-sides disc)? I'm thinking no....but the chances of me caving are about 58%.

This circumstance raises a more general issue, though. When do you decide that yes, I'm getting this compilation even though I own a bunch of the songs included. Sometimes it's just so cool (the DIY series with a few songs virtually no one had at the time, all the Merge anniversary compilations, the occasional Rhino box set like Left Of The Dial: Dispatches From The '80s Underground) that you need it. You must have it. I'm assuming we're all music lovers and collectors here...

But the greatest hit comps or the album re-release with 2 - 3 new songs? Tough call. I tend not to do it, now that I'm out of my teens and have more to do with my 'disposable' income than get every piece of vinyl The Smiths ever issued (an exercise in futility, by the way).

I'm assuming that the new 'Mats songs are not great. If I'm wrong, let me know.

Hey -- question to pose -- have there ever been one, two or three songs that make a re-purchase worth it? If so, would love to know what's gotten y'all to re-open your wallets. Similarly, is there a compilation with one gem -- a song you can't get anywhere else and just blows you way -- that makes the whole damn disc worth it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home